Monday, October 24, 2011

Yesterday in K.C., the Epic Cycling Team pitched in and filled an open spot with a new race at the Pflumm / Bichelmeyer Park in Shawnee.

The course was fairly short - 5 to 5 1/2 minute laps - and was full of tight hairpin and off-camber turns, one set of barriers, one curb drop-off, and two of my least favorite features - sand runs. You entered both sand runs on a right hander turns, both runs included a 90 degree turn in the middle of the pit, and they were pretty much back to back with about 10 to 15 yards of grass between the first and second sand pit.

I did the Masters 40+ race which wound up being 9 laps, but I got lapped with 3 to go, and only did 8 laps. I felt good to only get lapped once - I just didn't have anything in the tank or in the legs for the race. A combination of a course that didn't suit me, plus a long rough week sealed my fate - I finished 17th out of 20 starters.

Next week, I'll be out on the SS bike at Boss Cross #3 at the Raytown BMX facility. After that I'm going to take a weekend off - I don't know if I deserve it, but I sure feel like I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment